German Machine Gun Troops Assembly kit Scale = 1:35th
At about the middle of the 1930’s, the German Army organised offensive infantry corps which had machine
guns and machine pistols as the nucleus of their small arms. The infantry division contained three regiments
as its main body. Each regiment consisted of three battalions, which had four infantry companies each. The
1st, 2nd and 3rd companies each had twelve light machine guns, sixteen machine pistols, three light mortars
and two anti tank guns. The 4th company, which was called machine gun company, was equipped with twelve
(later sixteen) heavy machine guns and six medium mortars.
The machine guns that gave birth to and constituted
the background of such organisation were the well-known model 34 (MG-34) and model 42 (MG-42).
Mauser completed a new machine gun of 7.92 mm calibre based on the Swiss Solothurn 30 machine gun then used
by the Austrian Army. The new machine gun employed the Solothurn mechanism such as the air-cooled recoil
operation system and the selective fire lever between continuous fire and single fire. It was linear and slender in
appearance. Muzzle brake was fixed to avoid vibration and recoil caused by high cyclic rate of fire (up to 900 rounds per
minute) that was one of the advantages of the mechanism. The gun was of the belt-fed type. Belts containing 50 rounds
each were carried in a gun belt box with a capacity of 300 rounds.
Immediately after completion, the new machine gun
was adopted by the German Army. Officially designated model 34 machine gun (MG-34), the weapon was mounted on
a great number of combat vehicles and military planes as well as used by infantry corps. The MG-34 later showed activity
in all theatres of war.
In 1942, the Model 42 machine gun (MG-42) first appeared in the battlefield. The MG